Tuesday 18 October 2011

Introducing our Teachers: LAURA JACKSON

The second in our series of blogs entitled 'Introducing our Teachers' features the lovely Laura Jackson. Here is what she said:

Tell us a little about you and your family?

Im Laura, I live in Bangor with my 3 gorgeous boys. Mark is 10yrs Reece is 7yrs and Bailey is 3yrs. Its a busy crazy house but I wouldnt have it any other way :O) I enjoy reading and love cosy DVD and popcorn nights on the sofa with my boys.






Why did you become a Sign2Music teacher?

I attended Sign2Music classes with my youngest Bailey. Sign2Music became the highlight of our week. The classes are great fun and I also saw the wonderful benefits of baby signing first hand !! I enjoyed classes soo much and just love the whole concept of babysigning, I decided to go and do BSL level 1 at bangor tech to learn more! I applied to become a sign2music teacher because I love working with children and I liked the idea of teaching such a well run and educational programme. The bonus for me was that I would be self employed! I have a fantastic job that I can fit around my own children :O)




Where do you do your classes at the moment?
I have a beginners class in the Robinson Centre in Castlereagh. I also run a private class for sure start at Chinese Resourse on the Ormeau Road and I have an after school club running in Dundonald Primary School (P3/P4)


What are you are most proud of about yourself?
I am proud of myself for always choosing my own path in life and never following the crowd:
'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.' ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Your favourite signing experience(s) (personally or one that has been shared with you)?

Oooo! Hard question.... I get super excited every time I see a 'first sign' in class !! 
My favourite experience of baby signing would be my bedtime story with Bailey most nights. I gets lots of cuddles. As I sign the story to him in bed he copies me and gets soo excited if he is able to sign the word before me. Its just soo cute and a really special time for us xx 


What would you do if you won the lottery?

I have always said I would set up an organisation for underpriviledged children in NI: Daycare; day trips; youth clubs; holidays away, etc.

Tell us a secret about you?

I hate the dark.


Your favourite film? Book?

Twlight


Who makes you laugh?

My kids - daily.


Who inspires you?

My Mum.


What would you say to someone who was thinking of becoming a Sign2Music teacher?
Go for it :O) I don't see it as a job I am priviledged to meet so many lovely families and show them the benefits of babysigning and watch as they learn and grow. Mark Twain once said:
"Make your vocation your vacation".  

Sign2Music is definitely my vacation x

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a fantastic job that you are doing. You should keep it up. Them boys are absolutely adorable. Such a pretty family.

    ReplyDelete