Tuesday 17 January 2012

One for the Dads

We are very lucky to have lots of dads attend our Sign2Music classes. Too often preschool classes are predominated by mums. Not ours! It helps that many of our classes are at weekends so are accessible to more family members - mums, dads, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and siblings!

Modern research emphasises the importance of the mother - child bond in building the foundations for sound relationships in adult life. However, this does not take away from the important roles fathers can play in the lives of their children.

Unfortunately dads are often overlooked in parenting discussions. One of my colleagues told me that when his son was a baby a health professional visited the house on a regular basis in the early days. While he was present every time, all the discussion and advice was addressed to his partner. He described how disempowering this felt.

With this in mind I was delighted when I came across this wonderful video by the American Actor and rapper Tray Chaney, focusing on fatherhood:



I am not a rap fan but this is a beautiful song with meaningful lyrics and a great video.

I heard about Tray from my friend and author of ' the Blossom Method', Vivien Sabel. I was very touched and moved to receive a tweet on Twitter from 'the man' himself!


I wish Tray every success with this song. I really hope the popularity of this song increases even further and continues to promote the roles of fathers everywhere!

Deirdre :)

No comments:

Post a Comment