Tuesday 30 October 2012

Being a parent - The most important job in the world!

In a blog written in Nov 2011 I shared my views on the importance of bonding and attachment. This post was entitled love is the answer. Interestingly a year later I came across this great article. It highlights so clearly how HUGELY important relationships and connections in the first two years of life are in shaping a baby's brain development and ultimately their future.

Babies are born already connected and are able to imitate facial expressions from birth. This discovery was made in the 1970s and has caused significant discussion among developmental psychologists. This video shows a 10 minute old baby imitating daddy:
 
The most signifcant period of brain cell development is in the first 2 years of life. It is shocking how important and potentially far reaching our behaviour is in our child's early years. In exteme cases of neglect / lack of love a baby's brain is wired for crime, violence, unemployment and substance misuse. This information can worry a lot of parents who have experienced post natal depression, domestic violence or other circumstances that meant they were not able to connect with their baby as much as they would have liked. I know I worry about Cara being in SCBU, which meant I was unable to have physical contact with her for those crucial first days. Of course I do not think that this lack of contact will directly result in her becoming a mass murderer, but I do think it is detrimental which is why I signed with her and have showered her with as much love as I have in me!
 
I have always said being a parent is the most important job in the world. How great a responsibility is it to know that you can potentially wire your children for love, success and happiness, as you are shaping and moulding the world's future! Hopefully this information will make those night feeds less frustrating, the screaming less sore on the ears, the messy house easier to cope with!

No comments:

Post a Comment